A. Applicability. The regulations of this section shall apply to the development of any principal and/or accessory use within any area in the fountain district urban village. Development in residential transition areas shall comply with Chapter 20.28 BMC, Infill Housing, or Chapter 20.30 BMC, Residential Single Development.
B. General Provisions. No sign shall be permitted unless it complies with the provisions herein.
C. Exemptions. The following signs shall be exempt from the provisions of this title:
1. Traffic signs installed by a government agency.
2. Directional, way finding program signs installed by a government agency if the signs are consistent with the provisions of the fountain district urban village subarea plan.
1. Off-premises, rooftop and pole signs are prohibited.
2. One monument sign per site is permitted whether it is for a single or mixed use. The monument sign shall not exceed 60 square feet per face or six feet in height measured from existing grade.
3. Building-mounted signage shall not exceed 100 square feet per use per building elevation, and no single use shall have more than 50 square feet per building elevation (logos are included).
Exemption: Building identification signs or cornerstones are permitted as an integral and architecturally compatible part of the building or structure. Cornerstones shall not exceed four square feet and building identification signs shall not exceed 32 square feet. These exemptions shall not contain any colors, words, letters, numbers, symbols, graphic designs, logos or trademarks for the purpose of identifying a good, service, product or establishment.
4. Building-mounted signs extending over the street right-of-way shall comply with the International Building Code. There shall be at least eight feet of vertical clearance between the bottom of the sign and the sidewalk and the sign shall not extend within two feet of the street curb.
5. Animated, moving, blinking or electronic (LED or similar) message centers are prohibited.
6. Directional Signs.
a. Directional signs are limited to six square feet per sign face and four feet in height if freestanding.
b. The message shall not contain the name of the establishment or advertising of any kind. Examples of directional signs include: “Enter,” “Service Entrance,” “No Parking,” etc.
7. There is no limit on the number of directional signs.
8. Temporary building signs shall not exceed 32 square feet.
9. Real estate signs are limited to one sign per street frontage, shall be unlighted and shall not exceed 32 square feet. [Ord. 2010-10-057].